Today we’ve discovered the first photos and specifications of the DJI Mavic Air drone which will be officially released tomorrow morning at a special DJI event in New York City. We will be on the scene there as well at 9AM ET so expect full coverage here on DroneDJ.
The below photos and specifications come to us from multiple tipsters who’ve been correct in the past. Also, the photos and specs seem to corroborate information we’ve already received from other sources. The new photos also show some of the features we have seen before, such as the swooping lines in the official DJI invitation and in the DJI teaser video.
One of the photos is a banner showcasing the new drone highlights some of the main features of this new unmanned aerial vehicle from DJI, such as the 4K60 video, 32-megapixel panorama mode, and 4 foldable legs.
Last updated: 12:47pm EST
DJI Mavic Pro
So what do we know about the DJI Mavic Air?
Let’s start with the specs:
- 32-megapixel panorama mode (not a 32mp camera)
- 1/2.3 CMOS sensor and new ISP (Image Signal Processor)
- 4K video spec @ 60fps
- 3-way gimbal (upgrade from 2-way on Spark)
- Four foldable legs like the current Mavic Pro
- Obstacle-avoidance sensors in the front, bottom, and back
- Equipped with a VPS – Visual Positioning System for better control, hovering and indoor flying
- Gesture control
- 21-minute flight time
- It will be available in different matte colors: white, black and red we’ve seen so far
- Compatible with DJI Goggles
What we do not know yet:
- Specifics of the codec which plays an important role in the actual quality of the 4K video footage.
- Weight and dimensions: no information yet on the weight and dimensions
- Speed – no word on top speed yet
- Range – Will the new Mavic Air have a range similar to the Spark (1.2 mi or 2 km) or to the current Mavic Pro (4.3 mi or 7 km)?
- Price – we expect the DJI Mavic Air to be priced at $699 but we have not been able to confirm that.
We are not getting:
- The quiet propellers from the DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
- The longer flight time that we had hoped for
The DJI Mavic Air Accessories
We just came across a video clip showing the new DJI Mavic Air and in one shot it shows that DJI’s adventure drone will include:
- A controller + various RC cables to connect to a smartphone
- An Intelligent Flight Battery
- A battery charger
- Four spare propellers
- Propeller guards
- A travel case
- A power cable
- A manual or user guide
Mavic Air video clip
Photos of the new DJI Mavic Air
Reading these specs, I cannot help but feel that the new DJI Mavic Air is more of an hyper-upgraded DJI Spark than a true successor of the current Mavic Pro. Of course, the 4K60 video and the 32-megapixel camera are big upgrades. Also, the VPS system will make this drone easy to fly indoors. However, the 21-minute flight time is considerably less than the 30 minutes you can get with the DJI Mavic Pro Platinum Edition. 21 minutes seems very consumer.
One more interesting thing is the name of the new DJI drone, the Mavic Air. We already have the Mavic Pro. It makes me think of Apple with their MacBook Air and MacBook Pro. Would this mean that the real successor of the DJI Mavic Pro is still to come? I have a feeling we’ll be hearing about the Mavic Pro II very soon.
What do you think about the DJI Mavic Air? Are you pumped for the specs/form factor? Were you expecting something else? Let us know in the comments below.
Note: To improve our website DroneDJ and bring you the latest news, we rely on income from our ads as well as affiliate programs. We would greatly appreciate it, if you would consider the offers of our advertisers or would buy your next drone or drone accessories through one of our partners such as DJI, Parrot, Yuneec or retailers such as Amazon, B&H, BestBuy or eBay. Thank you!
Note II: If you are in the market for the new DJI Mavic Air, check out this article with tips on where you can buy it.