As expected many well-established YouTubers already had the new DJI Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom in their hands well before the launch yesterday. We have watched them all so you don’t have to. Here are the best ones with many of your questions answered about DJI’s latest and greatest foldable drone. Such as, can you fit ND filters on the Mavic 2 Pro version? Yes, you can. How good is the obstacle avoidance? Very good! Does it record in 120fps slow-motion? Yes, it does at 1080p. Can it handle high wind? Yes.
DJI Mavic Pro
Here are the best bits and pieces of the top-ranked DJI Mavic 2 reviews on YouTube. For your convenience, we have linked to the sections that will likely interest you most or will answer your questions right away. Of course, you could watch them all, as we did. But, if you are short on time and just want to watch one to learn all you need to know, I would recommend iPhonedo’s review as it is both entertaining and highly informative. He has spent a great deal of effort making sure that all aspects of DJI’s latest drone are covered. Very well done!
iPhonedo’s review of the Mavic 2 Pro
- Easily the most detailed, thorough and entertaining review.
- If you only have time to watch one. Watch this one.
- The new Mavic 2 Pro is sharper: here
- Just watch the first two minutes to see how much better the new Mavic 2 Pro is.
- You CAN get ND filters for your Mavic 2 Pro drone: here
- Compared to the Mavic Pro: here
- Mavic Pro Platinum is still the quietest DJI drone: here
- ActiveTrack is really good. Getting close to the Skydio R1? Here
- APAS is better than with Mavic Air: here
- Dolly Zoom in post-production is possible with the Mavic 2 Pro: here
- You can remove the sticks from the controller and charges your phone (and more info on the controller): here
- Better low-light performance: here
Casey Neistat’s review
- Flies the DJI drones with Justin and Dan at Coney Island
- Plastic gimbal cover still sucks: here
- Nice comparison of footage quality of various drones: here and here
- Casey favors the Mavic 2 Zoom: here
- Mavic 2 Zoom offers the best value for money of any DJI drone currently available.
- He also lays out the various DJI drones in a nice hand-made graph: here
- Also claims that when you consider buying a drone, there is no other choice than DJI
Kai Wong’s review of the Mavic 2 Pro
- Way more sensors, more solid gimbal, bigger sensors, bigger battery…
- Testing the Mavic 2 Pro in higher wind conditions: here
- More stable than Mavic Air: here
- Hyperlapse: here
- Swap ND filters, an adjustable aperture, and D-log: here
- No 4K @ 60fps
- Really likes the Zoom model as well
- Is like a Sony RX100 camera in the sky
- 14 stops of dynamic range
- Panorama: here
- Kai favors the bigger sensor, i.e. the DJI Mavic 2 Pro
DC Rainmaker test the ActiveTrack 2.0 feature
- DC Rainmaker test the ActiveTrack 2.0 feature on the DJI Mavic Zoom.
- No WiFi: here
- Max speed of 44 mph in active track mode: here
- Three modes: trace, profile, and spotlight: here
- Works much better than before but lost track here (leading), here (flew too low), here (again too low).
- Top speed of 28 mph: here
iJustine’s review of the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom
- Starts with unboxing
- Compares size with Mavic Air and Mavic Platinum
- Obstacle avoidance: here
- Compare battery size: here
- Flying the drone: here
- Shows the zoom feature after almost crashing the Mavic 2 Zoom: here
- Dolly Zoom: here
- Slow-mo at 120fps at 1080p: here
- It’s the perfect drone
- Comparing the footage from the Mavic Pro Platinum, Phantom 4 Pro, Mavic Air and the Mavic 2 Zoom: here
- Hyperlapse and ActiveTrack: here
Tom’s Tech Time: a 27-minute review of the Mavic 2
- Watch this one if you have the time and appreciate a very detailed review.
- Very stable and very good flight capabilities
- Weight and dimensions: here
- Mavic 2 Pro camera specs: here
- Example footage from Mavic 2 Pro that you can download: here
- DJI Mavic 2 Zoom specs: here
- No 10-bit recording for the Zoom model: here
- DJI Mavic 2 Zoom footage: here
- Obstacle avoidance: here
- Battery specs: here
- Real life flight-time is only 27-minutes for Tom
- Loves OcuSync 2.0
- Intelligent flight modes: here
- ActiveTrack has been much improved.
- Point of Interest is improved as well and easier to use.
- Hyperlapse for both models: here
- Toughness test: here
JerryRigEverything reviews the Mavic 2 Zoom
- Cool review with some history thrown in which is nice.
- Low noise props? Still noisy: here
- Mavic Pro vs Mavic 2 Zoom comparison: here
- Detailed controller shots: here
ReadySetDrone reviews the Mavic 2 Zoom
- Starts out with a lot of drone footage and some DJI drone history
- Shows bottom LED lights in action: here.
- APAS demo: here
- Apparently, there is a remote coming out with a bigger screen: here (Could that be the C2 mentioned in the FCC filing?)
The Drone Film Guide considerations on the Mavic 2
- The lens is not interchangeable. (DroneDJ: It is, but you have to send it to DJI to have that done).
- Don’t upgrade your drone until you understand the basics of both filmmaking and your equipment
- DJI Mavic 2 Zoom lens compression: here
- The zoom lens provides you with more cinematic creativity for filming subjects, not landscapes
Crash testing the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom
STAY IN TOUCH!
If you’d like to stay up to date with all the latest drone news, scoops, rumors and reviews, then follow us on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram or sign up for our email newsletter DroneRise, that goes out every weekday morning at 6 am.
If you’d like to help us grow, you can buy your next drone through one of the following links directly from manufacturers, such as DJI, Parrot, Yuneec or retailers like Amazon, B&H, BestBuy or eBay. We will make a small commission and it will not cost you anything extra. Thank you!
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.