Drone Racing League and Swatch host the biggest drone racing party of all time. Getting selected to be a pilot on the Drone Racing League’s (DRL) professional racing circuit is no easy task. Pilots are usually scouted based on a number of accomplishments in major races. Even if you don’t travel to big international races, you still have a chance to make it on the show! Pilots worldwide are invited to prove their skill right from their living room, through the DRL Simulator, a drone racing simulator available on Steam.
The biggest drone racing party of all time
Since October, hopeful pilots from around the world have been battling it out for a chance to compete in this year’s Tryouts. Hundreds will go head-to-head in the live-streamed esports showdown, racing virtual maps of DRL tracks. The winner will receive a professional drone racing contract for $75,000 and fly as the official Swatch pilot in the 2019 Allianz World Championship season.
To participate in the Tryouts, pilots must first qualify on the simulator before Feb. 1st at 5 pm ET. The event itself will then take place on Saturday, February 9, 2019, at the HyperX Esports Arena Las Vegas at the Luxor Hotel.
Taking place the same weekend in the same city as the Multigp championship, the Tryouts is open to the public and will bring on the FPV party with:
- Tiny Whoop small-drone races for attendees to fly through LED gates and obstacles above the crowd
- Swatch pop-up, creative shop and immersive drone racing activation, featuring Learn To Fly sessions and online competitions with DRL Pilots on interactive SIM stations, VR goggle escapes into the world of FPV flying, and under-the-canopy tours of the complex builds of DRL racing drones
- Photobooth to share pics on social
- Big prizes and DRL swag
- Guest appearances by:
- Celebrity DRL Pilots, including 2018 Allianz World Champion, Paul “NURK” Nurkkala, 2x Allianz World Champion, Jordan “JET” Temkin, and 2018 Finalists, Jacob Jawz Schneider (who won the 2017 Tryouts), Gabriel “Gab707” Kocher, Dunkan “Dunkan” Bossion and Blake “Nubb” Sams
- Freestyle drone influencers, Trappy from Team Black Sheep and Mr. Steele
- Tiny Whoop small FPV aircraft Founder Jesse Perkins
- Rotoriot mini quad pilots and Youtube hosts, Drew Camden and Tommy Tibaja
Fans, who are unable to attend the esports tournament in Las Vegas, will be able to stream it live on DRL’s social channels (see below) and follow the party on #SwatchxDRL
- Facebook: @The Drone Racing League
- Twitter: @DroneRaceLeague
- Youtube: @DroneRacingLeague
- Twitch: @thedroneracingleague
Recap: WHEN & WHERE:
Saturday, February 9, 2019
HyperX Esports Arena Las Vegas
Luxor Hotel & Casino, Luxor Dr, Las Vegas, NV 89119
- Party opens to the public
- Press check in
1:30pm – 6pm:
- Round-robin SIM tournament
- Influencer talks
4pm – 6pm:
- DRL Pilots available for interviews
7pm – 9pm:
- Semi Finals & Finals
9pm – 10pm:
STAY IN TOUCH!
If you’d like to stay up to date with all the latest drone news, scoops, rumors and reviews, then follow us on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram or sign up for our email newsletter DroneRise, that goes out every weekday morning at 6 am.
Buy your next drone through directly from manufacturers, such as DJI, Parrot, Yuneec or retailers like Amazon, B&H, BestBuy or eBay. By using our links, we will make a small commission, but it will not cost you anything extra. Thank you for helping DroneDJ grow!