Tomorrow morning, DJI will hold an event in San Francisco to announce that ‘the world of work is changing‘. Many people have been speculating what this announcement may be about. Some have suggested new workflow software, the DJI Master Wheels, or even a new sensor size for the DJI Mavic Pro II based on the relative difference in the exact measurements of both circles in the announcement. And of course many people, we included, are hoping that DJI will, in fact, announce the new DJI Mavic Pro II at the event. Even OsitaLV, our long-term leaker, seems to be speculating that the new Mavic Pro may be announced tomorrow. However, we are not convinced and I will explain why.
Update: @DJIEnterprise will start live-tweeting the event at 11:15 PST
What will DJI announce tomorrow?
OsitaLV has been under attack recently by people who call him a hoax. They claim that all his predictions have proven not to be true. We disagree, OsitaLV has been right in a number of important situations and we believe that he is connected to people within DJI. However, it also seems that his new-found Twitter stardom has made him add his own wishes to the rumored specs, making it very difficult to figure out where the facts stop and the fiction begins. The Mavic Pro II is a perfect example.
In previous tweets about the DJI Mavic Pro II, OsitaLV has put together a list of specs that is very long and detailed. Today he sent out this tweet in which he says: “So this is what I know”, seemingly creating a distinction between his previously rumored specs and the facts that he claims to be true. It will not come as a surprise that the new list is a lot shorter. Let’s have a look.
In his tweet, he confirms the following specs. We have printed them in bold below.
RUMORED SPECS OF THE MAVIC PRO II
- The official name will be Mavic Pro II instead of Mavic Pro 2
- It will be substantially larger than the current Mavic Pro
- 8.8mm lens (equivalent to a 24mm field-of-view in the 35mm world)
- Camera/gimbal combination will be the FC6510, which is the Zenmuse X4S (link 1 and link 2)
- 4820 mAh battery capacity and 15.2 V power (compared with 3830 mAh and 11.4 V for the current Mavic Pro).
- Different battery design than the current Mavic Pro
- Upgraded propulsion with larger motors (slightly smaller than current Phantom 4)
- 32-minute flight time. Maybe longer (current Mavic Pro has 27-minute and Platinum 30-minute flight time).
- It will have ‘quiet’ propellers
- Top speed is 72 kph (45 mph) in sport mode (2/24)
- 1″ CMOS sensor (current Mavic Pro has 1/2.3” CMOS sensor) with 28mm (now 24mm) lens.
- No mechanical shutter
- Variable iris/aperture F2.8-F11
- Newly designed 3-axis gimbal.
- Infrared 3D sensing to avoid obstacles even in the dark
- It will have an improved vision processing system, faster than Mavic Air
- Binocular rear vision obstacle avoidance sensors.
- The same design of remote control as old Mavic Pro but drastically improved
- Will use OcuSync.
- Video transmission frequency is unknown.
- Improved agility and precision.
- Expected to outperform current Phantom 4 Pro.
- Beta testing of the Mavic Pro II ended late January.
- Mass production has started already (early Feb) and will not be impacted by Chines New Year.
- Launch date possibly March 22nd but could be later. Update: launch date likely to be in June
- The Mavic Pro 2 will be controlled with the DJI GO 4 app just like the current Mavic Pro.
- Expected price point: $1299 USD or more. The FlyMore combo will be more expensive. It will be very expensive!!
So, do we think that DJI will announce the new DJI Mavic Pro II at tomorrow’s event in San Fransisco? No, we don’t. When DJI launched the DJI Mavic Air, the company had sent out invitations to the event roughly three weeks in advance. Many press members were there. DJI had hired a professional camera crew to live-stream the event online so that anybody could follow it.
This time the announcement tweet was sent out by @DJIEnterprise and not by, for instance, @DJIGlobal. The time in between the announcement and the actual event was much shorter and DJI confirmed to us today that tomorrow’s event will not have a live stream available.
All this combined leads us to believe that DJI will introduce a solution aimed at the professionals market, such as the DJI MasterWheels but not a new mass-market consumer drone, such as the DJI Mavic Pro II.
As far as believing OsitaLV. Keep the following in mind, OsitaLV is not a leaker according to his own words AND he likes to play games. At the same time though, he seems very well connected to DJI or DJI employees. My advice is, take it all with a grain of salt as we warned you in early February. However, at the same time, we do think that he knows more than he has led many people to believe.
What do you think? Let us know in the comments below!
Email sign-up form
Would you like to receive our DroneRise email every weekday morning? Enter your email below and look for an activation email in your inbox to confirm your DroneRise email sign-up.
Note: Support DroneDJ by buying your next drone through our site. You can use the following links directly from manufacturers, such as DJI, Parrot, Yuneec or retailers like Amazon, B&H, BestBuy or eBay. Thank you!