Today, President Trump signed the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018. In a public statement, the FAA says that this establishes new conditions for the recreational use of drones. It also means that Section 336, the Special Rule for Model Aircraft is repealed effective immediately. Although the FAA admits that the Act ‘cannot be fully implemented immediately’ and therefor advices you to ‘follow all current policies and guidance’ when it comes to flying drones recreationally.
Official statement from the FAA about the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018
On October 5, 2018, the President signed the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018. The Act establishes new conditions for recreational use of drones and immediately repeals the Special Rule for Model Aircraft.
The agency is evaluating the impacts of this change in the law and how implementation will proceed. The Reauthorization Act cannot be fully implemented immediately, please continue to follow all current policies and guidance with respect to recreational use of drones:
- Fly for hobby or recreation only
- Register your model aircraft
- Fly within visual line-of-sight
- Follow community-based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization
- Fly a drone under 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
- Never fly near other aircraft
- Never fly near emergency response efforts
- Updated direction and guidance will be provided as the FAA implements this new legislation.
What do you think about theFAA Reauthorization Act of 2018? Let us know in the comments below.
STAY IN TOUCH!
If you’d like to stay up to date with all the latest drone news, scoops, rumors and reviews, then follow us on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram or sign up for our email newsletter DroneRise, that goes out every weekday morning at 6 am.
Buy your next drone through directly from manufacturers, such as DJI, Parrot, Yuneec or retailers like Amazon, B&H, BestBuy or eBay. By using our links, we will make a small commission, but it will not cost you anything extra. Thank you for helping DroneDJ grow!
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.