The Mavic 2 Enterprise is one of the first modular professional drones on the market, and probably the only one that matters. Building from the world’s most technologically advanced consumer drone, DJI has provided an open platform for developers to add on to the Mavic 2 Enterprise. However, development of new accessories will take place in close collaboration with DJI as the add-ons might impact the performance and flying ability of the unmanned aircraft. The first three accessories that are available today are likely only a preview. There are countless possibilities for the Mavic 2 Enterprise and developers are probably already working on several new accessories.
Who will create new accessories for the Mavic 2 Enterprise?
While it is possible that DJI already has plans for new add-ons, it is even more likely that third parties develop the most exciting new tools. DJI continues to add more flexibility for private companies to customize DJI drones with a growing number of software development kits (SDKs) issued all the time.
The numbers are staggering. As of this year, DJI has activated more than 4.7 million licenses for independent entities to develop software and hardware for DJI drones, remotes systems, and smart applications. The number of activations are growing exponentially and show no sign of slowing down at all.
A speaker (above), a flashlight, and a strobe light are all that DJI has given us. What’s coming next?
What will be the next great Mavic 2 Enterprise accessory?
So all this has us wondering, “what will be some of the most useful accessories for the Mavic 2 Enterprise?” We did some thinking, and here is a list that we came up with. When might we see these? Will any of these come to fruition? Time will tell.
- Thermal camera (But how would it look down?)
- Upward-facing inspection camera with lighting for inspecting the bottom of bridges
- Storage compartment for delivery. Stuck on a cliff and need a Power Bar? Mavic 2 Enterprise to the rescue.
- Water-sensitive inflatable flotation to keep your Mavic 2 from sinking to the sea floor
- Advanced obstacle sensing for navigation in tight spaces
- IR obstacle sensing accessory that works in the dark and can see through smoke
- Laser range finder for better mapping or size calibration of images
- Extra battery for longer range flight. (Wouldn’t it be nice to actually trust you can fly 8 km and still get the drone home?)
- Chemical or pollution sensors
- Radiation sensors
You have weighed in! Here are some of the ideas that our readers have sent us. Below you can submit your ideas as well.
- Joe suggested a “fricken laser beam.” That’s not the craziest idea, although maybe one that should be limited for militaries.
- Herman S. suggests solar cells to help keep the drone aloft longer. I don’t think solar cells are efficient enough to pay for the weight penalty, but we can hope for this someday.
- Theo suggests that a night vision (light amplification camera) could be a good addition.
- Francisco M. likes the idea of an upward-looking camera but ads that it should have at least 3.5X zoom. He also thinks DJI should include the ability to tune obstacle avoidance distance for operation in tight spaces. I’ll add to that idea – how about sensing distance that is dependent on speed. Are you creeping up one something slowly? How about a really short avoidance distance!
What do you think of our ideas? Do you have any of your own ideas of what accessories should be added to the Mavic 2 Enterprise? Please let us know. If we like your idea we will add it to the list and give you the credit. If you don’t want credit, just say so in the message. We look forward to hearing your ideas!
[contact-form][contact-field label=”Name” type=”name” required=”true” /][contact-field label=”Email” type=”email” required=”true” /][contact-field label=”Website” type=”url” /][contact-field label=”Message” type=”textarea” /][/contact-form]
STAY IN TOUCH!
If you’d like to stay up to date with all the latest drone news, scoops, rumors and reviews, then follow us on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram or sign up for our email newsletter DroneRise, that goes out every weekday morning at 6 am.
If you’d like to help us grow, you can buy your next drone through one of the following links directly from manufacturers, such as DJI, Parrot, Yuneec or retailers like Amazon, B&H, BestBuy or eBay. We will make a small commission and it will not cost you anything extra. Thank you!