Here’s something new for your drone: Have you heard of anamorphic lenses? Moment is introducing a new product line called Moment Air. It includes an anamorphic lens for your DJI Mavic 2, ND and CPL filters, and an ultra-thin photo case for your phone that fits in your DJI Remote Controller and allows you to mount an anamorphic lens as well. Anamorphic lenses create a wide, cinematic view with horizontal flare. Check out some of the videos below to see what I mean — it’s very cool. Moment is launching their new products on Kickstarter.
Moment anamorphic lens for DJI Mavic 2
The Moment Anamorphic lens for DJI Mavic 2 allows you to get “juicy horizontal flares, true black bars, and that buttery cinematic look,” Moment says in their press release.
The anamorphic lens attaches to the front of either the DJI Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom and “squeezes” what the drone records by a factor of 1.33, which results in a 2.40-to-1 aspect ratio when you “de-squeeze” the footage later in post-production. If you’re into getting cinematic footage from your drone, anamorphic lenses are the way to go.
Here’s how Moment describes the anamorphic lens for DJI Mavic 2:
- The lens that gives your footage character: We use cinema-quality, hand-polished glass that you normally find in 4K cinema cameras. What makes our anamorphic lenses the best is how our proprietary design minimizes lateral chromatic aberration while using a unique set of coatings to deliver a horizontal flare associated with vintage anamorphics. The lens brings out unique flares in different conditions, from sunsets to headlights. Your footage will pop.
- Feather-light construction: Drone gimbals can only handle so much weight, so we had to completely rethink how we built a lens to maintain peak gimbal smoothness. Using aerospace-grade composites and metals, we created an entirely new construction we’re calling Featherlight™.
- New lock and balance mounting system: There is no standard for how to attach and balance a lens on a drone, so we made one: introducing our Lock and Balance Mounting System. It’s a two-part design with a lens on one side and a counterweight on the other. The two parts clamp together over the drone’s camera, creating a secure lock that doesn’t impede the gimbal.
- Attach ND filters: Did you grab the filters? They are the secret sauce to controlling your exposure. We designed an all-new set of anamorphic specific filters that press-fit onto the lens hood for minimal added size and weight.
- Magnification ratio: 1.33x horizontal squeeze
- Aspect ratio (video): 2.40:1 cinemascope (after de-squeeze)
- Distortion: vintage anamorphic barrel type distortion
- Later color: minimized
- Design: 2 cylindrical elements
- Lens coating: Anti-reflection coatings create vintage horizontal flares
- Orientation: Unidirectional, direct horizontal mount to drone camera
- Mavic 2 Zoom: Lens weight: 14.3 grams + 24.6 gram counterweight
- Mavic 2 Pro: Lens weight: 20 grams + 59.2 gram counterweight
$299.99 MSRP ($199 on Kickstarter)
What is an anamorphic lens?
Moment Airlight Drone Filters
Moment is also introducing CPL (circular polarizer/linear) and ND (neutral density) Airlight Drone Filters. They offer one of each for both the DJI Mavic 2 Pro and the Zoom, so four filters in total. They are made from aerospace grade aluminum and are bright red. Here’s how Moment describes the Airlight Drone Filters:
- Airlight design: We used aerospace-grade aluminum to reduce standard filter weight by 10%, making these the lightest filters available for Mavic 2 drones. This puts less stress on the camera gimbal, allowing for the smoothest footage possible.
- Cinema glass: Backed by our heritage of award-winning lenses, we brought our cinematic glass to drones. Combined with our proprietary coatings, these filters deliver the smoothest, crispest, color-neutral image imaginable.
- Precision machined: Not only do these filters work seamlessly with the camera mounts on both Mavic 2 Drones, they’re also custom machined to provide more grip for attachment and removal. Stay frustration-free while you change filters in the field.
- Shatterproof construction: Ready for whatever you can throw at them with advanced hydrophobic coatings, scratch resistant glass, and shatterproof construction. From Brooklyn to Iceland, these filters are prepared for takeoff wherever you feel like flying.
- Fire engine red: These baby filters make your drone look faster. Or at least you won’t lose them like those other black filters.
- Size: Mavic 2 Pro (31.2 x 27.5 x 4.6mm), Mavic 2 Zoom (23.5 x 23.5 x 5mm)
- Optical coatings: Hydrophobic, scratch-resistant, anti-reflective, color corrective
- Glass: Cinema-grade filter glass
- Frame: Precision-machined aerospace grade aluminum
- ND Filter (Mavic 2 Zoom): 1.4 grams
- ND Filter (Mavic 2 Pro): 1.9 grams
- CPL Filter (Mavic 2 Zoom): 1.7 grams
- CPL Filter (Mavic 2 Pro): 2.2 grams
$119.99 MSRP ($99 on Kickstarter)
Ultra Thin Photo Case
Lastly, Moment has introduced their Ultra Thin Photo Case for iPhone. It’s so thin that it easily fits in your DJI Remote Controller, and it also mounts anamorphic lenses from Moment. It’s compatible with iPhone Xr, Xs, and Xs Max.
- Weight: 12 grams
- Thickness: 0.75 mm
- Length: 145 mm (iPhone XS)
- Height: 10.2 mm (iPhone XS)
- Width: 72.7 mm (iPhone XS)
- Material: Glass blend polycarbonate composite + TPU
$29.99 MSRP ($25 on Kickstarter)
What do you think about an anamorphic lens for your DJI Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom? Excited? Let us know in the comments below.
Stay in touch!
If you’d like to stay up to date with all the latest drone news, scoops, rumors, and reviews, then follow us on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram, or sign up for our daily email newsletter that goes out every weekday at 6 p.m. ET.
Buy your next drone directly from manufacturers such as DJI, Parrot, or Yuneec, or retailers like Amazon, B&H, BestBuy, or eBay. By using our links, we will make a small commission, but it will not cost you anything extra. Thank you for helping DroneDJ grow!
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.