Finally, the adventure unfolded! Today is the day of the official announcement of the all-new DJI Mavic Air. We now know all of the specifications of this drone that slots right in between the current DJI Mavic Pro and DJI Spark and priced at $799. As usual, many specs had already been leaked through different channels and we tried our best to gather them and present them to you. However, today is the day, so let’s get started!
Last updated at 1:54pm, EST
DJI Mavic Air, the adventure unfolded
The DJI Mavic Air is larger and far more capable than the Spark mini-drone but it folds so small that is almost as easy to take with you. The DJI Mavic Air is priced higher than the Spark at $799. Compared to the DJI Mavic Pro series, the new DJI unmanned aerial vehicle is smaller, lighter, less expensive and more capable, especially when it comes to taking photos and capturing video footage. The new drone has a special panorama mode that allows you to easily and quickly take breathtaking 32-megapixel panorama photos. The new drone is also able to capture video in 4K at 30 frames per second.
The specifications of the DJI Mavic Air
- Roughly half the size and weight of the DJI Mavic Pro.
- Four foldable legs like the current Mavic Pro.
- The propellers do not fold nor do they have to as they fold flush with the body.
- Obstacle-avoidance sensors in the front, bottom, and back.
- Equipped with a VPS – Visual Positioning System for better control, hovering and indoor flying.
- Much improved gesture control. It is now on a whole different level compared to the Spark.
- Available in three different colors: matte Arctic White, matte Onyx Black, and shiny Flame Red
- Compatible with DJI Goggles
- Flight time: 21 minutes
- Speed: 42.75 mph or 68.4 kph
- Range: 2.5 miles or 4km. (The Spark does 1.2 mi or 2 km and the Mavic Pro does 4.3 mi or 7 km)
- Foldable remote controller separate
Camera, gimbal, photo, video
- 1/2.3 CMOS sensor and new ISP (Image Signal Processor)
- 32 MP Sphere Panoramas
- HDR photos
- 12 MP Stills
- 4K video at 30fps at 100 Mbps
- Slow motion video at 1080p and 120 fps
- 8 GB Internal storage
- 3-way gimbal (upgrade from 2-way on Spark)
Intelligent flight Features
- All the intelligent flight modes we already know
- Improved ActiveTrack that allows you to track up to 16 subjects simultaneously
- 6 Quickshot features, including the new Astroid and Boomerang
- SmartCapture that allows you to control the drone by hand for both flying and taking photos, or dronies.
- TapFly – tap on your smartphone where you’d want your drone to go and it will simply fly there.
- FlightAutonomy 2.0 now with seven cameras, including two forward, backward and downward dual vision sensors.
THE DJI MAVIC AIR ACCESSORIES
If you opt for the FlyMore Combo, you will get:
- A controller + various RC cables to connect to a smartphone
- An Intelligent Flight Battery
- A battery charger
- Four spare propellers
- Propeller guards
- A travel case
- A power cable
- A manual or user guide
- Price and availability
The all-new DJI Mavic Air will retail for $799 and will be available for pre-order starting today. A Fly More Combo with extra batteries (2) for an hour of flight time, extra propellers and more will be $999. Shipping will start as of January 28th. Pre-order will start today at the DJI store.
All in all, the new DJI Mavic Pro is indeed a small but very powerful drone aimed at the adventure traveler. This drone will enable you to take breathtaking photos and high-quality video footage that will blow your friends and family away.
Photo gallery of the Mavic Air
Note: To improve our website DroneDJ and bring you the latest news, we rely on income from our ads as well as affiliate programs. We would greatly appreciate it, if you would consider the offers of our advertisers or would buy your next drone or drone accessories through one of our partners such as DJI, Parrot, Yuneec or retailers such as Amazon, B&H, BestBuy or eBay. Thank you!
Note II: If you are in the market for the new DJI Mavic Air, check out this article with tips on where you can buy it.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.