The latest rumors on the DJI Mavic Pro II (2) indicate that the foldable drone may not get the 1-inch sensor that had been rumored before, but a smaller 1/1.7″ sensor instead. The new Mavic Pro II could have obstacle avoidance in all directions and a silver-gray body, darker than the Mavic Pro Platinum.
DJI Inspire 2
Reduced sensor size for the new Mavic Pro II (2)?
In a series of tweets, OsitaLV reported that beta testers of the third generation of the Mavic Pro II (2) told him that DJI had shrunk the sensor on the new foldable drone from a 1-inch sensor to a 1/1.7″ sensor. In reactions on Twitter, many people voiced their disappointment on this news.
“All right folks, some very important intel about MPII from the 3rd-gen prototype beta testers, I’m NOT sure whether it’s ture or not, but first of all DJI has changed the size of the sensor to 1/1.7″ instead of 1″. Disappointed,” OsitaLV tweeted.
The current DJI Mavic Pro features a 1/2.3” (CMOS) so a 1/1.7″ sensor would still be a step up for the new Mavic Pro II. OsitaLV speculates that the Sony IMX226 CMOS may be the one DJI used on the 3rd generation of the Mavic Pro II.
OsitaLV also speculates that maybe DJI is shrinking the sensor size to accommodate for either a larger “machine vision module” or to create enough of a distinction between the Mavic Pro II and the Phantom 5.
Sensor size versus portability
How do you value sensor size, i.e. image quality versus portability? If we cannot have the DJI Mavic Pro II with a 1-inch sensor, would you settle for the foldable drone with a 1/1.7″ sensor or would you wait for the Phantom 5, assuming that it will come with a 1-inch sensor? Please, ignore all the other features such as pricing, etc.
Obstacle avoidance in all directions
On a more positive note, OsitaLV also tweeted that the new Mavic Pro II will have obstacle-avoidance in all directions. The new drone will also come with a silver-gray body, darker than the DJI Mavic Pro Platinum. This time OsitaLV warns that he has not seen the drone himself so keep that in mind. He tweeted:
“Second, 3rd-gen prototype has obstacle avoidance in every direction and it has a silver gray shell, a little bit darker than Mavic Pro Platinum. I didn’t see the true thing, just let you know. Be prepared!”
Updated RUMORED SPECS OF THE MAVIC PRO II
- The official name will be Mavic Pro II instead of Mavic Pro 2
- It will be substantially larger than the current Mavic Pro
- 8.8mm lens (equivalent to a 24mm field-of-view in the 35mm world)
- Camera/gimbal combination will be the FC6510, which is the Zenmuse X4S (link 1 and link 2) – No longer true as the X4S has a 1-inch sensor.
- 4820 mAh battery capacity and 15.2 V power (compared with 3830 mAh and 11.4 V for the current Mavic Pro).
- Different battery design than the current Mavic Pro
- Upgraded propulsion with larger motors (slightly smaller than current Phantom 4)
- 32-minute flight time. Maybe longer (current Mavic Pro has 27-minute and Platinum 30-minute flight time).
- It will have ‘quiet’ propellers
- Top speed is 72 kph (45 mph) in sport mode (2/24)
- 1/1.7″ CMOS sensor (current Mavic Pro has 1/2.3” CMOS sensor) with 28mm (now 24mm) lens.
- No mechanical shutter
- Variable iris/aperture F2.8-F11
- Newly designed 3-axis gimbal
- Obstacle avoidance in all directions
- Infrared 3D sensing to avoid obstacles even in the dark
- It will have an improved vision processing system, faster than Mavic Air
- Binocular rear vision obstacle avoidance sensors.
- The same design of remote control as old Mavic Pro but drastically improved
- Will use OcuSync.
- Video transmission frequency is unknown.
- Improved agility and precision.
- Expected to outperform current Phantom 4 Pro.
- Beta testing of the Mavic Pro II ended late January.
- Mass production has started already (early Feb) and will not be impacted by Chines New Year.
- Launch date possibly March 22nd but could be later. Update: launch date likely to be in June
- The Mavic Pro 2 will be controlled with the DJI GO 4 app just like the current Mavic Pro.
- Expected price point: $1299 USD or more. The FlyMore combo will be more expensive. It will be very expensive!!
As far as believing OsitaLV. Keep the following in mind, OsitaLV is not a leaker according to his own words AND he likes to play games. At the same time though, he seems very well connected to DJI or DJI employees. My advice is, take it all with a grain of salt as we warned you in early February. However, at the same time, we do think that he knows more than he has led many people to believe.
What do you think? Let us know in the comments below!
Email sign-up form
Would you like to receive our DroneRise email every weekday morning? Enter your email below and look for an activation email in your inbox to confirm your DroneRise email sign-up.
Note: Support DroneDJ by buying your next drone through our site. You can use the following links directly from manufacturers, such as DJI, Parrot, Yuneec or retailers like Amazon, B&H, BestBuy or eBay. Thank you!