Earlier this week DJI released a firmware update for their Ronin-S gimbal. The new firmware, for instance, brings the option to set the zoom speed for Sony cameras, adds 3D Roll 360 and Auto Roll 360 features for some very creative video shots. Furthermore, it brings new features for cameras such as the Panasonic GH3, GH$, GH5, GH5S, Nikon Z7, Canon 1DX Mark II, and the 5D Mark IV. For all the details see below.
DJI Mavic Pro
Overview DJI Ronin-S firmware update
- Date: 2018.11.19
- Firmware: v22.214.171.124
- Ronin App iOS: v1.1.6
- Ronin App Android: v1.1.6
- DJI Pro Assistant for Ronin (PC): v2.0.0
- DJI Pro Assistant for Ronin (Mac): v2.0.0
- User Manual: v1.2
What’s New for the DJI Ronin-S?
- Added option to set zoom speed for Sony cameras (requires Ronin app v1.1.6 or later).
- Added 3D Roll 360 feature. Enable 3D Roll 360 in the control settings of the Ronin app. The gimbal can switch between upright and flashlight modes by pressing double tapping the trigger. Rotate the gimbal roll axis using the joystick. Note: only motor parameters, system calibration, and pan axis control settings can be set in 3D Roll 360.
- Added Auto Roll 360 feature. When the gimbal is in Flashlight mode, assign roll axis control to channel 3, and push the joystick quickly left or right twice to enable Auto Roll 360. The gimbal rotates continuously without needing to hold the joystick. Double tap the trigger to stop Auto Roll 360. Note: Auto Roll 360 only works when 3D Roll 360 is disabled.
- Added camera parameter settings for Panasonic GH5 and GH5S cameras (requires Ronin app v1.1.6 or later).
- Added photo capture, video recording, autofocus, and focus pull support for Nikon Z7 cameras with supported lenses. To use autofocus on the Nikon Z7, press halfway down on the gimbal’s camera control button.
- Added photo capture, video recording, autofocus, and focus pull support for EOS-1D X Mark II cameras with supported EF lenses. To use autofocus on the EOS-1D X Mark II, press halfway down on the gimbal’s camera control button.
- Added option to disable the selfie mode that is activated when the trigger is pressed three times (requires Ronin app v1.1.6 or later).
- Added auto-focus function (half-press REC button) for Panasonic GH3 and GH4 (requires RSS-P cable).
- Fixed the occasional issue when using shutter control for Canon 5D Mark IV cameras where the camera froze.
- Fixed the occasional issue when using shutter control with an HDMI monitor for Panasonic GH5 and GH5S cameras where the gimbal stopped working.
- Fixed other minor bugs.
- Ensure that the Ronin App is the latest version when updating the firmware.
- Leave the Ronin-S turned off and update the firmware through the DJI Pro Assistant for Ronin by connecting the USB-C port on the Ronin-S to your computer. Then proceed with the firmware update. Do not disconnect the gimbal from the computer while updating.
- After the update is complete, unplug the USB-C cable from the Ronin-S and proceed to turn on the gimbal.
- If the Ronin-S has a camera attached and is turned on while updating the firmware, make sure to protect the camera and lens as the motors will shut off during the update.
- If the firmware update fails, restart the Ronin-S and retry.
How to Update your DJI Ronin-S
STAY IN TOUCH!
If you’d like to stay up to date with all the latest drone news, scoops, rumors and reviews, then follow us on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram or sign up for our email newsletter DroneRise, that goes out every weekday morning at 6 am.
Buy your next drone through directly from manufacturers, such as DJI, Parrot, Yuneec or retailers like Amazon, B&H, BestBuy or eBay. By using our links, we will make a small commission, but it will not cost you anything extra. Thank you for helping DroneDJ grow!