On Tuesday, July 10, the Jasper County (Indiana) Sheriff’s Office released information about a joint investigation together with the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office. Together the departments had recently been able to locate missing father and child with a drone within 15 minutes after the duo had been missing for half a day.
DJI Mavic Pro
The drone program has been an excellent tool
On Sunday, June 22, 2018, at 10:11 p.m., the Pulaski office requested assistance from the Jasper County Sheriff’s Office to locate the two missing individuals after they had been missing for 10 hours. Apparently, the father was operating an ATV in a wooded area and had become disoriented.
Luckily, the Jasper County Sheriff’s Office has an Aerial Drone Team that could be dispatched to the location where the father and child had been last seen to start a drone search. it only took, the aerial drone Team 15 minutes to locate the two missing people and guide them back to safety or medical personnel was waiting to perform a quick checkup.
According to the Republican Rensselaer, the Jasper County Sheriff’s Office believes that it would have taken several hours to locate the father and child had it not been for the drone’s assistance. The office stated that:
“The Jasper County Sheriff’s drone program has been an excellent tool and very successful in locating missing subjects, fleeing criminals, crash reconstruction, natural disasters amongst other assigned public safety duties.”
This is far from the first time that drones come to the rescue and that missing people have been found faster. According to a DJI report, 65 people were rescued by drones last year and 124 in total around the world. Here at DroneDJ, we like to write about these stories to show people the good that drones can bring to our society.
- Drone company DroneUp helps search for missing Williamsburg couple in the Mojave Desert in California
- Fire Department flies DJI Matrice 210 drone for the first time ever in heavy rain. “She performed like a champ!”
- Police drone finds missing 75-year-old man in Norfolk beach marshes after almost 24 hours since last sighting
- Drone helps guide rescue workers and resident back to safety after successful rescue mission from approaching lava in Kilauea, Hawaii
- Drone company, FlyMotion helped in the search of a missing 9-year-old girl from Jacksonville
- Drone leads the way to safety for stranded hikers and injured dog
STAY IN TOUCH!
If you’d like to stay up to date with all the latest drone news, scoops, rumors and reviews, then follow us on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram or sign up for our email newsletter DroneRise, that goes out every weekday morning at 6 am.
If you’d like to help us grow, you can buy your next drone through one of the following links directly from manufacturers, such as DJI, Parrot, Yuneec or retailers like Amazon, B&H, BestBuy or eBay. We will make a small commission and it will not cost you anything extra. Thank you!
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.