Everything you need to know about the new DJI Osmo Action 3 camera
Seven 'DJI Action 3' stories
August 2022 - November 2022
DJI released the original Osmo Action in 2019. This is the third product from the company’s rugged action camera line. With Osmo Action 3, DJI has ditched the tiny, cube-like modular design adopted by Action 2 and gone back to the classic action camera design.
Table of contents
One of the main highlights of the DJI Osmo Action 3 is that it comes with a 1770mAh Extreme Battery that lets the camera record for over 2.5 hours. This Extreme Battery comes with Osmo Action 3 by default; no separate purchase is required.
The camera can handle temperatures as low as -20C (-4F) and is waterproof at depths of up to 16 meters without needing any additional housing.
Fast charging and heat management
Osmo Action 3 charges from 0-80% in as little as 18 minutes and 0-100% in 50 minutes. This native fast-charging support is a first for action cameras. It’s also worth highlighting that an improved heat management system enables continuous 4K/60fps recording until the battery runs out of power.
Imaging system with D-Cinelike color mode
Coming to the imaging system, the camera comes with a 1/1.7-inch sensor that shoots in 4K/120fps and provides a 155-degree super-wide FOV. In addition, D-Cinelike color mode is available in video, slow-motion, and timelapse modes for those looking for more room to edit in post-production.
To eliminate camera shakes, Osmo Action 3 has three distinct electronic image stabilization modes:
- RockSteady 3.0 effectively eliminates camera shake in all directions. It works up to 4K/120fps, providing a stable and immersive first-person perspective. This is the ideal stabilization for sport-specific scenes like bike riding and on-the-go handheld filming.
- HorizonSteady helps to eliminate camera shake in all directions and even horizontally corrects tilt at any angle. That means footage can remain horizontally level, even through heavy bumps and 360-degree rotations, creating the effect of a perfect horizon without any post-production, even in off-kilter pursuits like surfing.
- HorizonBalancing corrects the tilt horizontally within ±45-degree and supports recording stable 4K/60fps videos. A perfect middle ground between RockSteady and HorizonSteady, this mode is ideal when the priority is a smooth 4K picture in a dynamic environment, such as an FPV obstacle course run.
Features for vloggers and streamers
Interestingly, Osmo Action 3 is the first action camera with dual touchscreens, which means you can access settings from any angle while keeping the camera in perfect position.
For vloggers and live streamers, a three-mic stereo recording system reduces wind noise and boosts the audio quality of the footage. Wi-Fi livestream supports 1080p/30fps, 720p/30fps and 480p/30fps, and pausing recording during the stream. UAC/UVC Webcam support offers high-quality video and audio for conference calls and livestreams.
Additional features of DJI Osmo Action 3 camera
- Shutter/Record Button & Quick Switch Button offers immediate recording and instant mode switching.
- Quick Switching Between Five Custom Modes gives access to user-created camera modes at the touch of a button.
- Multifunctional Battery Case stores three batteries and two microSD cards, intelligently fast charges three batteries, and can be used together with those batteries as a power bank to charge other devices like your smartphone.
- Voice Prompt informs users of current modes without needing to unmount the camera.
- Voice Control recognizes voice commands with a high recognition rate to control the camera when hands are busy.
- InvisiStick for Skiing recognizes and digitally hides the selfie stick in snow sport situations.
- 1.5m Drop Resistance from Corning Gorilla Glass for the touchscreens and lens cover.
- Timelapse with low-power consumption, preset for common scenarios (crowds, clouds, sunset), and dynamic time-lapse video stabilization for smooth exposure and color temperature changes.
- Digital Lens shoots in Standard (Dewarp), Wide, and Ultra-Wide for all shooting modes.
- Digital Zoom of up to 4x can be adjusted while recording for better image composition.
- DJI Mic Compatibility via the Type-C port, and external mics via 3.5mm to Type-C cable.
- Loop Recording for continuous recording and overwriting according to a preset time.
DJI Mimo app and LightCut
Osmo Action 3 connects with the DJI Mimo smartphone app via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth for unleashing functionalities such as a live feed of the camera, various story templates, quick in-app editing, etc. In addition, the LightCut video editor app has been optimized for use with Action 3. It can automatically select clips and intelligently match them with exclusive templates to generate ready-to-share video edits.
DJI Osmo Action 3 price and availability
You can buy the Osmo Action 3 Standard Combo for $329 now. This includes Osmo Action 3, one Osmo Action 3 Extreme Battery, the Osmo Action 3 Horizontal-Vertical Protective Frame, the Osmo Action 3 Quick-Release Adapter Mount, and the Osmo Flat Adhesive Base.
The Osmo Action 3 Adventure Combo comes at a price of $439, featuring Osmo Action 3, three Osmo Action 3 Extreme Batteries, the Osmo Action 3 Horizontal-Vertical Protective Frame, two Osmo Action 3 Quick-Release Adapter Mounts, one Osmo Flat Adhesive Base, and the Osmo Action 3 Multifunctional Battery Case.
Several other accessories such as Handlebar Mount, Helmet Chin Mount, and Chest Strap Mount are available for purchase separately.